Traditional Membership – This is our in-person competition membership allowing for one team per problem and division as qualified. Individual teams may choose to compete in the Traditional platform or Virtual platform. You cannot enter two teams in the same Problem and Division even if one is Traditional and one is Virtual. In the event an on-site tournament is not available a Virtual Competition for Traditional Teams will be provided. These teams can advance to an in-person event, such as a traditional Association Finals and World Finals, when safe and legal. If not deemed safe and legal, a virtual Association Finals and a Virtual World Finals will be provided under the Traditional platform. Once a team competes in a competition, under its chosen platform (Traditional or Virtual), it is limited to that platform for the rest of the year.
Single Traditional Membership – $135 and you must be sponsored by:
- Individual Schools
- More than 1 School Sharing Principal -register in school district name
- Community Groups
Virtual Membership – This membership will allow anyone, including a school or community group, to form one team of up to 7 team members to compete in a Virtual online competition. The team will select the problem and the division will be assigned as usual using the grade levels of the team members (birthdays for internationals). Team members DO NOT have to attend the same school, but every team member needs to be a student and teams may be mixed among any area. Coaches may be any adult selected by the team. These teams have the opportunity to advance to a virtual Association Finals and the Virtual World Finals. All team members may participate in the spontaneous competition. Virtual members will have an opportunity to switch to a Traditional Membership with a deadline TBD. If a team decides to switch then they will have to qualify under one of the groups identified under the Traditional Membership. Once a team competes in a competition, under its chosen platform (Traditional or Virtual), it is limited to that platform for the rest of the year.
Single Team Virtual Membership – $100
As we know, the year 2020-21 has been very unpredictable. What we know for sure is that Odyssey is still thriving going in to the 2022 season. Teams can purchase Traditional Memberships or Virtual Memberships. Please refer to the flowchart below for more information on how it will work for both types of memberships.
It has come to our attention that teams participating in the Destination Imagination Program have concerns based on the new site for their Global Finals as well as the price structure. Please read below to find out more information about Odyssey of the Mind and Our World Finals and consider giving us a chance to be your creative problem solving program of choice!
Get To Know Odyssey of the Mind
Odyssey of the Mind is the original creative problem solving program, was founded in 1978 and we are proud to be celebrating our 40th anniversary! In 1999 a group split off from Odyssey of the Mind to form their own program Destination Imagination. Tennessee Odyssey of the Mind has been and continues to serve the kids and families of Tennessee since 1983. While it is important for kids to be involved in some type of creative problem solving program, there are distinct differences.
- Tennessee Odyssey of the Mind costs significantly less for schools, teams and families.
- Tennessee Odyssey is completely volunteer run so all registration fees go back to the program and the kids. Tennessee Odyssey does not pay any salaries and we are fueled by the kid’s creativity!
- Tennessee Odyssey Volunteer Leaders have over 300 years of participating in Odyssey of the Mind
- Odyssey of the Mind National Membership fee has remained at $135 for 20 years to ensure it is an accessible program for all schools, districts, and families. Higher cost does not necessarily equal higher quality, it just makes it more affordable
- Problems are designed based on Dr. Sam’s college creative problem solving course he established.
- Problem Writers have been producing problems for competition for over 40 years. This group includes founding members of the program as well as Odyssey Alumni.
- Odyssey of the Mind Problem Writers incorporate past learning experiences into new problems.
- Every problem is reviewed by experts who have spent decades learning the process of developing divergent problems.
- Odyssey of the Mind has a clarification system established to ensure the problems do not inadvertently stifle creativity.
- Odyssey of the Mind problems average 6 pages vs. over 20 pages for DI
- CCI was created in 1979 and is a small privately held company to ensure that the problems used in Odyssey of the Mind are developed by experienced writers. While DI is a non-profit, that is only a tax status, it is still a business. In fact, it has had over $2M in net assets in 2016 and in 2017 – check for yourself
Open Letter to Tennessee Destination Imagination Teams
Dec. 7th, 2018
Hello Tennessee Destination Imagination Schools and Districts
It is unfortunate that your cost to attend Global Finals has just skyrocketed! If you were to participate in Odyssey of the Mind this year you would pay 48% less per team to attend World Finals than DI teams are being asked to spend to participate in Global Finals. Plus Odyssey of the Mind’s World Finals is on-campus, includes food and lodging, and all activities. Plus Odyssey of the Mind’s World Finals on-campus options including food and lodging are even less! On average, participating in Destination Imagination costs about 250%-300% more at the local level than participating in Odyssey of the Mind.
In fact, Odyssey of the Mind has deliberately kept its membership price the same ($135 – which allows for multiple teams) so that more young people can benefit from creative problem solving. If you’re a school or district whose budgets have been asked to do more with less, there is a better, more economical and original choice in Odyssey of the Mind. I encourage you to consider joining as a new member or if you want to make the switch this year and have already paid your DI registration fees – no worries, Odyssey of the Mind will accept your transfer at no charge this year – learn how here.
We don’t want cost and this last minute announcement deter you from participating in a creative problem solving program. We encourage you to continue your creative problem solving adventure and join the world’s very first and longest-running (40 years this year) creative problem solving organization: Odyssey of the Mind!
State Association Director
Tennessee Odyssey of the Mind
Odyssey of the Mind has a long history in Tennessee. We are proud to have hosted the World Finals in Knoxville in 1991, 1995, 1999, and 2000.
We predict that 2020-2021 will be our best year yet!
Tennessee Odyssey of the Mind is a non-profit organization which aims to provide Tennessee students with opportunities to stretch themselves through creative problem solving activities. Our goal is to create a positive environment in which students can learn divergent thinking, team-work skills, and self-confidence.
View our video on how Odyssey of the Mind is a perfect match for your STEM/STEAM programs!
For more information, please contact Allen Ball at 276-971-5412 or email@example.com